Sunday 20 February 2011

Audience Research - Questionnaire

I decided to create a questionnaire in order to find out information which I could use to help me create my thriller. My questionnaire involved 14 different questions which will give me a good insight as to what to base my thriller on. I decided that I would ask 30 different people because this will give me a fairly wide audience which means I can generalise my results however looking at 30 people on a large scale it is a fairly small sample. I asked my friends and family in person and over the internet for my results.

1. Are you male or female?
- Male (15)
- Female (15)

I decided to ask the same amount of males as females so that my results will represents both genders. I chose to ask 15 of each gender, it did not happen by fluke. However after I had 15 of each gender I chose the rest at random. I needed to ask both genders so that I had both gender's opinions and a wider audience.

2. How old are you?
- Child (3)
- Teenager (9)
- Adolescent (9)
- Adult (7)
- Elderly (2)

I asked people of all ages because this gave me a wider audience and a view of what people of different ages believe which could possibly help me when I am making my thriller. The majority of people I asked were between the ages of a teenager and an adult because they are the people who will most likely watched thrillers. This age group were most likely to be asked because they are the digital natives who are the people who watch films the most. I also asked a couple of children and the elderly just to give me a wider view on people's opinions.

3. What colour would you prefer the thriller to be in?
- Black & White (7)
- Colour (8)
- Both (15)

I decided to ask this question because there have been thrillers which have been shown in colour or in black & white. So I asked people which colour they would prefer the thriller to be shown in and most people said both so I might possibly use colour and black & white in my thriller.




4. Would you prefer the character to be revealed or hidden in the opening sequence?
- Hidden (21)
- Revealed (9)

Some thrillers have had the characters revealed in the opening sequence whereas some thrillers haven't. I wanted to see which my target audience found most effective so that I could possibly use it in my thriller opening.



5. Would you like the opening sequence to be open or mysterious?
- Open (7)
- Mysterious (23)


I wanted to know whether to reveal the plot to the opening audience or if I should keep it mysterious. If it is mysterious than the audience will want to continue watching but I don't want the audience to get bored so I will need to reveal a little bit of the plot in the opening sequence but I do not want it to ruin the thriller by revealing too much.



6. Would you prefer the lighting to be dark or light?
- Dark (16)
- Light (14)


I predicted that most people would prefer the lighting to be dark rather than light because it creates a sense of mysterious and sets the tone of the film. Dark lighting also makes it seem scarier whereas if it is lighting it will not seem as scary. Dark lighting will also make the character seem isolated and in a constricted area. I will probably use fairly dark lighting in my thriller for this reason.


7. How often do you watch thrillers?
- Every week (7)
- Every fortnight (13)
- Every month (6)
- Every 6 months (4)


I needed to know how often people watched thrillers in order to help me create my thriller. The results are as I expected because I predicted that most people would watch a thriller every fortnight.


8. What is your favourite film genre?
- Comedy (7)
- Thriller (8)
- Horror (6)
- Action (7)
- Other (2)


I predicted that most people would've said thrillers because that is what my questionnaire is based on. However comedies and action films are also really popular with my audience.




9. What is your favourite thriller sub-genre?
- Crime Thriller (7)
- Conspiracy Thriller (3)
- Mystery Thriller (5)
- Psychological Thriller (12)
- Other (3)


I had predicted that most people would've chosen psychological thriller because they are the most popular sub-genre for a thriller. Looking at the results the sub-genre for my thriller will most likely be psychological thriller because this is the type of thrillers most people enjoy to watch.


10. What props could I use for my opening sequence?
- Gun (21)
- Mobile Phone (4)
- Knife (2)
- Other (3)


Looking at the results from this question I will most likely use a gun in my opening sequence because most people see a gun as the most effective prop used in thrillers. This could also fit in with my thriller if I choose to do a psychological thriller.



11. Would you prefer to have a lot of dialogue or a little dialogue in the opening sequence?
- A lot? (11)
- A little? (19)



Most people I asked preferred thrillers with only a little bit of dialogue in the opening sequence. This is why in my thriller I will only use a little bit of dialogue because this proves to be more effective with my audience.




12. Would you prefer the lead role to be played by a male or female?
- Male (18)
- Female (12)

I predicted that most people would choose to have a male play the lead role in a thriller because it is conventional of thrillers. However women have also started becoming lead roles in thrillers now. Looking at the results from this question I will probably choose to have a male play the lead role in my thriller.


13. Would you prefer the the victim to be male or female?
- Male (12)
- Female (18)



I also predicted that most people would choose to have a female play the victim because this is also another convention of thrillers. However this makes women seem weak and vulnerable which is an old negative stereotype.



14. Would you prefer the villain to be male or female?
- Male (16)
- Female (14)


I also predicted that most people would choose to have a male character play the villain because this is another convention of thrillers. This is because men seem more powerful which is a positive stereotype of men. I will most likely choose to have a male play the villain in my thriller because it is more common for this in thrillers.


This questionnaire has given me some good ideas as to what I can include when it comes to creating my thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment